Friday, October 5, 2012

Week 4: The bedroom

When I normally try to have a clear out, usually what I do is gather up all the useless bits and bobs from around the house and dump them next to the bed. As my bedside table is next to the eaves of the roof, stuff shoved under said table or under the bed is pretty much out of sight, out of mind.

Not this time! And just to mix things up a bit, I'm going to start with the AFTER picture - because it's so lovely!

And the tidy space is made magical by the blanket. It wasn't on the bed before, it was a moment of complete inspiration. After clearing everything out, I changed the sheets and as I was shaking the duvet, I was thinking that it was a shame I didn't have some way to combine all the colours in the room - brown carpet, blue rug, black sheets, white walls, red-pink bedside lamps and the picture on the wall, which has green tones in it. I thought that the ideal would be some sort of patchwork quilt - and then I realised that I already had a patchwork blanket just lying at the bottom of the pile! It's so much more beautiful over the bed than in a cupboard, don't you think?

Obligatory before and after pictures:
It now looks so much more calm and restful - a sanctuary to retreat to when the world outside gets too much. Exactly what a bedroom should be! My new daily habits: to clear my bedside table each morning when I get up, and to make the bed every morning. So that it always looks like the haven depicted above. I'm find this simplifying and decluttering almost addictive... I wonder where it will lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...